About Mount Pleasant AME Zion
Committed to Spiritual Enlightenment
Founded in 1889 under the leadership of Rev. Monzinga, a missionary preacher sent to Danbury by the New England Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. The black population was surveyed and worship services for Sunday evenings were organized and held in a home on Cherry Street. Services were moved to various homes until the congregation became large and strong enough to rent a place of worship on Liberty Street which was later purchased as church property. After a while this property was lost due to a lack of interest and diminishing financial support. Worship services did pick up again and were held at the loft of Barnum's Grain Store on Main Street. Later, property was purchased on South street but met with resistance. Transactions were then made for a site on Rowan Street in exchange for the South Street property.
Our Church was established on the ideals of giving everyone a chance to learn, grow, and define their own religious identity through worship. Becoming a church member means joining a family who, each day, are devoted to expressing their love of God.